Wednesday, November 5, 2008

this feeling... it's indescribable... hope

It's been so lovely reading what friends have to say about the election. I've so enjoyed the excitement resonating through their words.

But you know, there's something special about being from Chicago.

Not only did we prove we're not afraid to have an African-American president, but he's ours. I cried tears of joy last night as I watched the crowds my friends were part of gather on the grass I've walked on downtown, as they cheered for the man from Chicago, as he humbly accepted the honor of the presidency.

I've always been proud to be a Chicagoan, even with all of Chicago's faults. It's been a long time that I've been able to say that's also how I feel about being an American.

Knowing how hard the road will be for Obama and for all of us does nothing to crush this feeling of joy.

No comments: