Thursday, January 21, 2010

It takes more than three days to make something a habit, doesn't it?

On Tuesday, my buddy D and I began our very own "Biggest Loser" competition. Like the show, we're going to see who can lose the largest percentage of weight over the course of the semester. We weighed in on Tuesday, and we'll have the final weigh-in on the last day of classes. For accuracy and consistency, we weighed in at the College's health center, and they're helping to track our progress.

The past three days, I was up at 5am and in the pool at the gym before 6:30 -- I have to go from our apartment in Chicago to the gym in Evanston. And yes, there ARE, in fact, gyms in Chicago. This one in particular is adjacent to the downtown Evanston stop on the Metra I take to work. So hush; it does, too, make sense to go that far to the gym. On those three days, I swam my 1/4 mile, and I did it hard. I tried to pay attention to my breathing and movement with each lap, making sure my legs were working. And boy, did they work hard.

By yesterday afternoon, I was popping extra Aleve for my bad joints and tired muscles. Despite the pain, it was a sure sign I accomplished something.

I didn't go in today. I was out past 11 last night with students -- we went to see a speaker a the University of Chicago -- so getting up early would have been painful. A different kind of painful. I get what they mean about having a little rest time for your body.

The competition element of all of this is what's going to be most helpful, I think. I have a GOAL. I'm going to BEAT HIM at weight loss. Perfectionist much? I know, I know. I must say, though, that perhaps the biggest motivator this week associated with the bet was the weigh in. I never would have guessed it, but I weigh 15 pounds more than he does. That is NOT okay.

I must admit, though, that the thought of winning a lunch of bacon-wrapped filet at Fogo de Chao isn't bad incentive, either.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You'll do great on this project Teryn, you are a headstrong gal and I might say "awesome" in the least. Stick to it girl. Love you, great aunt shirley.