Wednesday, August 11, 2010

she may be a fascist, y'all

You know how when people don't like something as "all-American" as apple pie they get called "communists"? I don't think that's such a bad label, all in all, but I'm not fond of the fascists.

Which leads me to Annabelle.

Before last night, she'd never taken a whole bite of macaroni and cheese. For serious. Did I mention this is one of my favorite foods?

After having dental work done on Monday, her mouth has been very sore. Last night, my goal for dinner was soft food. Given the way I inhale mac'n'cheese, I thought that might be something she could try to inhale, too, that might be both soft and filling. You have to know, though, that Annabelle doesn't like: a) cheese, or b) noodles. Making this for dinner was a risky choice, but I'd hoped that the inhalability of mac'n'cheese would make it okay.

I was so wrong. To her credit, she didn't throw up after that one bite of mac'n'cheese, but she definitely wanted to.

Macaroni and cheese was an important part of my childhood. Hell, lots of people would say the same thing. It's a feel-good food for me. It's so strange to me that it's something she can't make herself eat (it's a texture issue). When I think of the staples, I think about mac'n'cheese, tomato soup, spaghetti, BLTs... all things Annabelle doesn't like.

To be fair, there are foods I don't like: blueberries, olives, beets, radishes, cottage cheese, salmon. Who doesn't like blueberries???

When we have kids, they'll either eat everything we put in front of them, or they'll be the pickiest eaters in the city.

No comments: