Wednesday, August 4, 2010

why is it so difficult to actually get to work?

Crossing my fingers wasn't enough this morning. I was just out of luck. And then I was soaked.

The radio morning show kept saying that a big line of storms was coming -- a nasty band of thunderstorms with strong winds. I rushed to get ready, thinking I only have to make it one block, get on the bus, walk another half block, and wait for the train. This is totally do-able. I'm leaving early, and I'll just make it.

I was so very wrong.

I've never been outside in rain like this. The rain was coming from everywhere, and my umbrella was essentially useless. Before I made it to the end of our block, my capris were literally dripping wet. I rounded the corner and kept walking, but I finally hit a point of This is INSANE. I can't work all day in these wet clothes. So, I went home, hung up my wet clothes, laid on the bed, and checked my email.

That's when I snapped this picture -- too bad I didn't a) look right before I left and b) take a picture of the radar right before I left. Then, you could have seen my red pinpoint in the red band of storms.

Bad weather

My second attempt involved the same, pitiful umbrella, much less rain, and a bright yellow poncho. After seeing a coyote running down between the Metra tracks -- no joke! -- I made the train and made it to work. Safely. And, pretty much dry.

3 comments:

Amanda Grant said...

This morning was brutal. I kept looking for tornadoes. :( Glad you were able to turn back for dry clothes. PS. Love the new look for the blog!

4cupsspontaneous@gmail.com said...

yeh, i'm totally digging this new blog look! how'd you do it??

teryn j. said...

The new design came from the Templates on the Design tab in Blogger. I played with the page attributes and with the background picture till I found a match.