Tuesday, May 19, 2009

report: ice cream recipe, part 1

Yesterday, I posted my cut-and-paste recipe for vegan pistachio ice cream. The first part of the recipe involves making a pistachio custard, which sounded like it would be a pain in the butt without eggs. It actually cooked up pretty darn well, I must say. It remains to be seen how the consistency is today, but last night, it behaved very much like a custard. A. noted it was a pretty putrid green color, but it tasted pretty damn awesome. I'll also note that I made it last night so that it was out of the way and could cool overnight.

I stopped at the Spice House on the way home, where I picked up arrowroot and almond extract. I used the arrowroot as my thickener, and it did its job. I got a little nervous that it wouldn't and added a little more than the recipe called for. I hope I don't end up regretting that when I go to assemble the ice cream this evening. I can always thin it with a little more soy milk, I bet.

So, part 1 has been tested and successful!

Also, I heart my food processor. Amazing appliances; such a timesaver. The coarse chopping of the pistachios for the ice cream add-in is already done. Did that in the food processor while I waited for the custard to boil.

No comments: